Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone? (cross-archive)

Had this hymn in today's family morning devotions. Interestingly enough, the lines initially compared Peter's martyrdom with us. "Shall Simon bear the cross alone, and other saints go free?"

Must Jesus bear the cross alone
And all the world go free?
No, there's a cross for ev'ryone,
And there's a cross for me.

The consecrated cross I'll bear
Till death shall set me free,
And then go home my crown to wear,
For there's a crown for me.

Upon the crystal pavement down
At Jesus' pierced feet,
Joyful I'll cast my golden crown
And His dear name repeat.

O precious cross! O glorious crown!
O resurrection day!
Ye angels, from the stars come down
And bear my soul away.


-- Thomas Shepherd and others

And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Mark 8:34

One interesting thought struck me upon reflecting on all this. When Jesus spoke to the disciples, he had not been crucified yet. That's obvious, of course, but we often view what He said in light of what He did. I wonder what the disciples thought when He referred to crosses and giving one's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment